In the land of teenager, there is no greater expression of love than a mixtape. With that in mind, we've decided to launch a new category in which we create musical tributes to our most adored and cherished YA characters. And who better to kick off the series than the most fearsome prankster in the whole school, FRANKIE LANDAU-BANKS!
Given that I wasn't even able to write my review without throwing out a few songs, putting together this mix was a lot easier than, say, masterminding the Night of a Thousand Dogs. At the same time, in order to capture the awesome essence of Frankie, it had to be just the right blend of feminism, craftiness and pure badassery.
I hope this musical ode to Frankie will inspire yr inner rebel girl, whether you start a dance party in yr room or take over an all-male society. Get it here, then go START A REVOLUTION!
1. Sabotage - Beastie Boys
2. Just a Girl - No Doubt
3. She's A Rebel - Green Day
4. Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill
5. Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
6. Mysterious Ways - U2
7. You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore
8. Singular Girl - Old 97's
9. Challengers - The New Pornographers
10. It Feels Good To Be a Gangsta - Geto Boys
11. She's Crafty - Beastie Boys
12. Renegades of Funk - Rage Against the Machine
13. Original Prankster - The Offspring
14. Free Your Mind - EnVogue
15. Independent Women (Part 1) - Destiny's Child
16. No Scrubs (With Rap) - TLC
17. Respect - Aretha Franklin
18. Wannabe - Spice Girls
19. Express Yourself - Madonna
20. Keep On Livin' - Le Tigre