I can't tell you guys how spazzed I felt when we decided to pick Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty as our March selection for FYA Book Clubs. I mean, you can probably guess, based on my review of the series and my Google image investigation of Marcus Flutie, that I am kind of, like, the #1 swimfan of these books. But we all know that the only way to truly express
obsession love for something is through the creation of a mixtape, and so today, I present to you, the official FYA Jessica Darling Mix.
Now, if you haven't read the first book yet, please note that my liner notes contain some vague spoilers. And even though this mix is mostly focused on Sloppy Firsts, I went ahead and added songs for the rest of the series because I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF, OK? So if you'd like to end your musical journey with the first book, stop reading the track list after "Crooked Teeth." Oh, and apologies in advance for the lack of lasso-dicking and tongue-kissing cousin songs. Turns out, those just aren't popular topics for songwriters. GOD KNOWS WHY.
Listen on Spotify.
1. Spoon: The Way We Get By
Ode to Krispy Kreme.
2. Ida Maria: Oh My God
Ode to Sara.
3. The Backstreet Boys: I Want It That Way
Ode to Marcus Flutie's t-shirt fashion.
4. Elvis Presley: Suspicious Minds
Ode to Pepe/Percy (The Black Elvis).
5. The Drifters: Under the Boardwalk
Ain't nothing like the Jersey Shore.
6. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Summertime
The ultimate song for a beach party. Or for getting drunk in front of Paul Parlipiano.
7. The Smiths: Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Jessica's favorite track on the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. Perfect for ankle fracture angst.
8. The Killers: Losing Touch
Marcus is back in school, and "he thinks we're losing the ability to touch each other in a personal, human kind of way."
9. Weezer: Undone (The Sweater Song)
What Marcus does to Jessica.
10. Blondie: Call Me
Late night conversations, from the Olsen Twins to the universe's unseen dimensions.
11. 10,000 Maniacs: Eden
Without shame in paradise.
12. Stone Temple Pilots: Sex Type Thing
Marcus Flutie, get in my pants.
13. Barry Manilow: Weekend in New England
Jessica and Marcus drive to Helga's.
14. Miles Davis: Stella by Starlight
The Five Wonders of Pineville Soundtrack (Kind of Blue)
15. Deathcab for Cutie: Crooked Teeth
Marcus confesses on the playground.
16. Yazoo: Only You
"MARCUS FLUTING WAS STANDING IN MY BEDROOM."
17. The Beastie Boys: Boomin' Granny
Ode to Gladdie.
18. Old 97's: Designs On You
The smokin' hot mind games of Marcus Flutie.
19. Tegan and Sara: Back In Your Head
Curse you, Buddhist college.
20. Ryan Adams: New York, New York
Hell, I still love you, Jessica Darling.
21. Semisonic: Chemistry
Jessica learns a lot in college. Especially about things that have a bad tendency to explode.
22. Fitz and the Tantrums: Don't Gotta Work It Out
23. Travis: Writing To Reach You
Jessica's journal to Marcus.
24. The Stills: Still In Love Song
Three years later.
25. Barry Manilow: Can't Smile Without You
A definite showstopper.
26. INXS: Don't Change
I found a love I had lost. It was gone for too long.