Here at FYA HQ, you may have noticed that we enjoy any opportunity to create a drinking game. Usually, these activities are born purely out of our instinct to survive such films as Breaking Dawn: Part 1 and I Am Number Four. But every once in a while, we craft our drinking games not out of mockery, but out of reverence. Because when you really love a movie, it feels like your BFF... and what's better than throwing back a couple of cocktails with your bestie?
And that's why I'm here to give you the greatest Christmas gift ever bestowed upon humanity. (Sorry, Baby Jesus!) Today, I present to you:
THE OFFICIAL FYA LOVE ACTUALLY DRINKING GAME
Because the mother of all romantic comedies deserves the mother of all drinking games.
If you want to feel super British, play this with a Pimm's Cup, but if you want to err on the holiday side, try one of these Southern Living Christmas cocktails. (They don't call them "Party Starters" for nothing! Also, there are 32 different drinks on that list, which should be just enough to get you through the movie.)
Take one drink:
- Every time someone says "Christmas"
- Every time you hear "Christmas Is All Around"
- Whenever you want to strangle the Devil Secretary
- Every time Natalie curses
- Every time Billy Mack makes fun of his manager
- Whenever John and Just Judy talk about something mundane while in a sexual position
- Every time Colin says "sex"
- Every time Sarah's cell phone rings
- When Daniel and Sam reenact the scene from Titanic
- For the Prime Minister's sweet dance moves
- When Karl takes off his shirt
- When Mr. Bean appears
- When David's bodyguard sings "Good King Wenceslas"
- For every non-farm animal in the nativity play
Take one shot:
- For "To Me, You Are Perfect"
- When Nativity Spiderman appears
- For "Just in cases"
- For the entirety of Mark's freak-out to the Dido song
Pour one out:
- Every time a negative comment is made about Natalie's thighs
- When Sarah answers her phone in mid-make-out with Karl because NOOOOOOO.
- For Karen's marriage
And, because I can't think of Love Actually without wanting to watch it IMMEDIATELY, here's a few clips to tide you over til you can grab some booze and head home to the best Christmas movie ever made.
p.s. Anyone interested in an FYA field trip to the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport?