Until a few weeks ago, TV Land was one of those channels that I surfed past without even pausing to ponder its existence.
But now I know why TV Land exists-- to bring Younger into my life. And I am THANKFUL.
If you haven't heard of this show, here's the gist:
Liza Miller (Sutton Foster) is a newly divorced 40-year-old with a daughter studying abroad in India and a dried up resume in publishing. Due to her age, she can't even score an entry-level position, but after a hot hipster (Nico Tortorella) mistakes her for a twenty-something in a bar, Liza and her best friend Maggie (Debi Mazar) hatch a plan. Liza begins to pretend that she's only 26, and immediately, she scores a job as an assistant to Diana Trout, a publishing bigwig (Miriam Shor). Fortunately for Liza, she befriends a coworker (Hilary Duff) who unknowingly helps her navigate the waters of being young, from hashtags to bikini waxing, but how long can she go on not acting her age?
The premise is great, and the writing is playful, but it's the cast that really makes this show pop. I mean, just look at these cuties.
- I liked Sutton Foster just fine on Bunheads, but there were times when she was a leeeetle bit much. As Liza, she seems more natural while still getting plenty of opportunities to be goofy.
- HILARY DUFF. LIGHT OF MY LIFE. IT IS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN. (And girl, you look better than ever.)
- I can't watch Debi Mazar and not think of Empire Records, which is obviously a good thing. She's a mediocre actress, in my opinion, but she does have a certain je ne sais quoi that meshes well with her character, an aging lesbian artist in Brooklyn.
- The character of Diana Trout feels like a pile of clichés wedged into fancy heels, but Miriam Shor played Yitzhak in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. So yeah, Diana rules.
- The minute Nico Tortorella showed up on screen, he triggered a Major Hottie Alert. You know, the kind where you sit up straight, plunk down your wine glass and whisper, "Who is THAT?" He's been in a few things (including a pilot for a show called Eye Candy which I really, really wish had aired), and on Younger, he plays Josh, a super sweet, mega sexy tattoo artist that falls for Liza. Based on the promo images, it looks like he's a permanent cast member. HE BETTER BE.
These actors seem like they're having a blast together, and that, in turn, means the audience is having a blast. I particularly like it when the show ventures into risque territory (this is a Darren Star production, after all), whether it's Maggie giving a pep talk to Liza's vagina or Josh and Liza getting hot and heavy. Um, especially the latter. I'm actively praying for an episode in which Josh loses all of his shirts. You know, like a shirt robbery. That happens all of the time in Brooklyn, right?
Younger isn't perfect, nor is it complex, but it is most definitely a ton of fun. So if you haven't watched it yet, tune in! And if you're already loving it, join me in the comments so we can dish about important things like how pretty Hilary Duff is (so pretty!) and how hard Josh's abs are (rock hard!).