Omgomgomg THE MIDNIGHT STAR IS FINALLY HERE. To celebrate this bittersweet book birthday (YAY but also NOOOOO IT'S OVER), Marie Lu's here to share her top five moments while writing the book. Take it away, Marie!
5. The bathhouse scene. I’ve noticed that I have a strong preference for making sure my characters take baths and clean themselves properly before making out. Nothing is sexier than smelling like fresh soap and shampoo, amirite?
4. Any scene with Magiano in it. The Young Elites is probably the darkest series I’ll ever write, and The Midnight Star is pretty heavy stuff. Magiano was one of the few points of light and laughter, so I clung to his character’s moments like an Angeleno clings to raindrops.
3. When I went to New Zealand last Christmas on holiday, I visited the Waitomo Caves to see the glowworms. (If you haven’t heard of this phenomenon, Google it immediately. It looked exactly like the search result photos.) I found it so beautiful that I cried, and knew I had to find a way to put it into my story. So I did. Writing a setting into The Midnight Star inspired by those caves felt a little like reliving that magical memory. I’ll take it.
2. Writing the final sister scene between Adelina and Violetta. I have no siblings, so I’m constantly exploring this relationship dynamic in my books. I have a pretty soft spot in my heart for the Amouteru sisters, therefore, and see their relationship as the primary relationship throughout the series.
1. Writing the final chapter of The Midnight Star. In all seriousness, and at the risk of sounding like a boob, I got misty-eyed here. I’ve been on the dark road with Adelina for four years, and while I didn’t always know what her endgame would be, I did know the emotions I needed to end her story on. I feel like I hit that emotion in the final chapter, and the result was such a feeling of catharsis. It remains to be seen if anyone else will like the ending, but I hope it comes across!
Photo credit: Paul Gregory
About the Author:
Marie Lu is the author of the New York Times bestselling Legend series. She spends her spare time reading, drawing, playing Assassin’s Creed, and getting stuck in traffic. She lives in Los Angeles, California, with one husband, one Chihuahua mix, and two Pembroke Welsh corgis.
Thanks for stopping by, Marie! You can visit her on:
Follow the rest of the blog tour for more on The Midnight Star!
September 26: Expresso Reads + Ensconced in Lit
September 27: Myriad Inklings + Two Chicks on Books
September 28: Mike the Fanboy
September 29: Reading Teen + Twirling Pages
September 30: Bibliophile Gathering + Brittany’s Book Rambles
October 3: Once Upon a Twilight
October 4: The Starry-Eyed Revue + Arctic Books
October 5: Folded Pages Distillery + Fiktshun
October 6: The Book Nut + Bookiemoji
October 7: Mundie Moms
October 10: The Fandom
October 11: Forever Young Adult
October 12: Owl Always Be Reading + Buttermybooks
October 13: IceyBooks
October 14: Dark Faerie Tales + A Page with a View
October 17: The Book Shire + Seeing Double in Neverland
October 18: What Sarah Read
October 19: Adventures of a Book Junkie + YA Bibliophile
October 20: Eater of Books!
October 21: Me My Shelf and I + Oh the Book Feels
The Midnight Star is available now.