Welcome back to Totally Lit Parties, a feature in which Corrie shows you how to throw YA-themed parties!
Wonder Woman: Warbringer has everything I love: women being awesome while supporting one another, action, adventure, and possibly a little romance. At a time when it sometimes feels very difficult to be a woman, it’s perfect to throw a party that reminds you just how amazing women can be.
I wanted my invites to mimic Diana’s lasso, so I made a scytale cipher. Wrap gold ribbon around a small bottle and write out your message, one letter per wrap. When unwrapped, the message becomes encoded and unreadable. I put the ribbon in the bottle so everyone would have the proper size item to wrap the ribbon around to reveal the code. Bonus: the bottles can be used for a craft at the party.
What to Wear
When I was reading this book, all I wanted was to have Nim as my stylist. She’s got an eye for fashion and isn’t afraid to try something bold.
She wore open-toed boots that laced up to her dimpled knees and a smock dress that sparkled. The side of her head was shaved and the rest of her hair fell forward in a slick black sheaf that flopped over one eye. The other eye was black as jet and rimmed with gold, her visible ear was studded with silver and gems all the way from lobe to top.
If Nim’s a little too fashion forward for you, look to the women of Themyscira for inspiration instead.
[Tekmessa had] jewels glinting in her thick corona of curls, silver band flashing on her brown arms. [...] carried herself as if her belted indigo shift were battle armor.
• Stormy Ocean: Diana saves Alia from the ocean after an explosion on the research ship she was on. Replicate that storm (and the quiet calm once all is well) with a cool glitter bottle. (If you have kids, you might recognize this as a calm down or timeout bottle.) Mix 3 parts hot water to 1 part clear glue, and add glitter to your liking. Glitter glue can also be used, but additional glitter will probably be necessary to achieve the desired result.
• Bug Out Bag: Jason might be paranoid, but his preparedness makes it easy for Alia and Diana to hide in a dingy motel to figure out what to do. And while Jason has specific ideas about what is necessary, Alia does too, in the form of a drug store raid. Stock up for a sleepover like Alia and Diana by going to the corner drug store and picking out your must-haves for a night on the run (though maybe skip spending the night in a dingy motel).
• Science Museum: The action really takes off when the gang is at a gala being held at a science museum. Check out a local museum and think about how you might survive a sudden attack (while enjoying the exhibits, of course). Extra credit: attend an off-hours special event hosted by your museum.
• Battle Ready: Nim makes the excellent point that the right outfit is like armor. Head out to the local department store, and try on evening gowns to find your ideal special event armor, business attire for your work armor, or any other event where your clothing can be both fashion and function.
• Crochet: Nim uses Diana’s lasso to make a crochet capelet. Make one of your own with some chunky yarn and your fingers. Everyone can bring their own yarn and then learn how to finger crochet using this tutorial. You’ll all be stylish in no time!
• Crowning Glory: When her day started, all Diana wanted was to win a foot race and receive a laurel crown. Making your own crown is pretty simple (instructions here). While you wait for the paint to dry, play a game of Truth or Dare; after all, a laurel crown is “better than any royal circlet or tiara – an honor that couldn’t be given, that had to be earned.”
• Laser Tag: An unexpected unwelcome interference at the gala forces the group to fight and run for their lives. Make your own daring escapes and fight enemies in a game of laser tag or paintball.
• Run a Race: The weather is turning crisp, which, according to my friends that run, makes for perfect running weather. Participate in a 5K, or just run around a park together. Bonus points: find a fun themed race to participate in – pumpkin runs, color dashes, hot chocolate fun runs, etc.
• Feature Film: Celebrate Diana Prince onscreen by heading out to see her in Justice League (November 17) or renting Wonder Woman.
Tasty Business and Boozy Beverages
Adventure doesn’t leave a lot of time for good food and drink. However, at the start of the book there is a feast that included “warm bread, heaps of poached cuttlefish, grilled strips of venison, and pitchers of wine and mare’s milk.” Diana also has fresh honeycomb that she can’t bring herself to eat. Your party can mimic this feast, or you can do something more in line with the drug store haul which included “the finest of gummy bears and the fiercest of Doritos” in addition to other candy and chips and soft drinks.
Keep your drinks simple: serve wine with your Amazon feast or add your favorite mixer to your soft drink. But, for an added bit of fun, add a little champagne to honor Theo at the gala.
Do you have any other Wonder Woman: Warbringer-themed party ideas? Let us know in the comments!
Corrie Golando lives in Lafayette, IN, with her husband and two greyhounds. She spent 10 years as a middle school/high school English teacher, and her students gave her a love for all things YA. When she's not working at the high school library, she is writing fanfiction and doing something crafty. She has a love of all things coated in glitter, much to her husband's horror.