Welcome back to Totally Lit Parties, a feature in which Corrie shows you how to throw YA-themed parties!
Lumberjanes is a celebration of friendship, and I can’t think of a better reason to party than friendship to the max!
Earn your scrapbooking badge by creating handmade cards. I used washi tape in a variety of patterns in order to create my quick but fun invites. You’ll also want to include directions on how to participate in the 'activity potluck', and you might even want to include a Friendship to the Max badge in each of your invitations.
What to Wear
Earn your Dressin’ for Successin’ badge by preparing for whatever this party might throw at you: comfortable shoes, practical clothes, and, of course, a sash or vest to proudly display all your badges!
The best way to enjoy this party is to make it an 'activity potluck': each guest plans an activity, including bringing all necessary supplies, as well as badges for those who complete the activity.
Here are a few quick and simple ideas for badges.
• Stickers: A quick and easy option that can also be modified using permanent markers.
• Plastic folder: Cut the folder into squares, decorate with permanent markers, and use hot glue to adhere a safety pin to the back.
• Fabric: Cut up fabric scraps, decorate with puffy paint or fabric paint pens, and pin them onto sashes.
Coming up with a badge activity can be its own challenge, so here are some suggestions inspired by the Lumberjane guide.
• Up All Night Badge: Stay up all night and watch the sun rise. Stargaze and find constellations in the night sky to pass the time.
• Naval Gauging Badge: Teach everyone a few different knots and splice ends of ropes together.
• Pungeon Master Badge: It's a wordplay competition to see who can come up with the best puns that make everyone groan or laugh (or both!).
• Friendship to the Craft: Make enough friendship bracelets so that everyone can go home with an armful of friendship.
• Ensemble Assemble Badge: Arrange a musical performance using household items like bottles, kazoos, and pans. Record and share your performance for glitter-covered internet bonus points!
• Con-Quest Badge: Play a game that requires an understanding of strategy, such as The Resistance or Werewolf.
• Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fondant Badge: Learn how to decorate (cup)cakes, cookies, or even pie crusts!
• Out of Thyme Badge: Exchange your favorite recipes, and make take-home party favors like trail mix or a dry cake mix.
• Spare Me Badge: Learn how to change a tire or a vehicle’s oil.
• Bend Over Backwards Badge: Learn some yoga poses or a stretching routine to incorporate into your daily life.
• So En Pointe Badge: Learn basic ballet positions or complete a barre workout.
Tasty Business and Boozy Beverages
Continue the potluck theme with each guest bringing a dish to share. Incorporate traditional camping food into the party by setting up a s'mores bar for everyone to personalize their own treats: graham crackers, cookies, brownies, and vanilla wafers for sandwiching; chocolate, peanut butter, jam, and fruit as fillings; and, of course, marshmallows to roast. If grilling isn’t an option, marshmallows can be roasted indoors in a broiler, over a stovetop, or even over sterno flames. Make sure to take proper safety precautions for however you decide to toast.
For beverages, guests can bring their own cups (mine came from the clearance section at Target) and decorated them with ceramic paint. In the spirit of fun and adventure, make your beverages their own activity and create a #YASummerShowdown style mixology task.
Do you have any other Lumberjanes-themed party ideas? Let us know in the comments!
Corrie Golando lives in Lafayette, IN, with her husband and two greyhounds. She spent 10 years as a middle school/high school English teacher, and her students gave her a love for all things YA. When she's not working at the high school library, she is writing fanfiction and doing something crafty. She has a love of all things coated in glitter, much to her husband's horror.