This month’s FYA Book Club selection is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Check out the discussion questions below! (Slight spoilers ahead.)
P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Maddie and Julie are both strong, independent women who fight their way into roles and jobs traditionally reserved for men. Do you have any women in your family who are/were feminist pioneers like Maddie and Julie?
1. How much did you cry while reading this book?
2. Julie/Verity is an unreliable narrator. Did the possibility that she was lying bother you, or did you enjoy it?
3. What did you think about Julie and von Linden’s relationship?
4. The switch in POV from Julie to Maddie allowed the reader to connect the dots between certain characters and situations– Etienne the guard, the interview with Georgia Penn, etc. At which point was your mind blown the most?
5. Did you guess that Julie and Engel were working together?
6. Speaking of mindf*cks, let’s talk about Maddie shooting Julie.
7. Do you think there is romance in Jamie and Maddie’s future?
8. Um, how fascinating was the “Author’s Debriefing” at the end?