P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Music and mixtapes are a vital element to Eleanor and Park’s relationship. Did you ever make a mixtape for a crush? (Or receive one?)* What was on it?!
*If the answer is no: What’s a song that you’ve shared with a significant other? You know, your song as a couple.
1. Who do you see more of in your YA self—Eleanor or Park? Why?
2. Do you feel like the love Eleanor and Park share is realistic or unrealistic?
3. Was your first love similar to E&P’s? If not, have you ever experienced such an all-encompassing, deep-hurtin’ love?
4. Eleanor never actually tells Park she loves him, even though it’s pretty obvious from her actions (and I think we all know what the three words were on the postcard she sent him). Why do you think it’s so hard for her to say the words?
5. Parents don’t always figure prominently in YA books, but both Park and Eleanor’s parents are major forces in the story. What did you think about Park’s parents? Did you find Eleanor’s mom to be a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
6. Did you guess the identity of the person responsible for writing the terrible things on Eleanor’s books?
7. Would you have done what Eleanor did (i.e. cut off contact with Park) after moving? (Yes/No/Maybe) Why?
8. What happens to E&P post end of book? Do you think they have a happily ever after?