P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Did you ever have aspirations of working in Hollywood, either in front or behind the camera? What kind of movie/TV show would you have wanted to work in?
Emi and her brother, Toby, idolize Hollywood icon, Clyde Jones. Do you now or have you ever had a celebrity idol?
1. Did you find the warm and dreamy descriptions of L.A. believable? If you’ve been or lived there, do you feel that the book matched the reality?
2. Even though teens — esp. in YA novels — are capable of doing a lot of cool stuff, did you find it realistic for Emi to be a set designer with the amount of responsibility that she had?
3. The letter that Emi and Charlotte find from the estate sale leads them on a quest to deliver it to the rightful recipient.
- Would you have been as dedicated as them if your first attempt didn’t work out?
- Have you ever stumbled onto a mystery or story that made you want to go on a quest to find out more?
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever bought secondhand?
4. When we first meet her, Emi is well beyond the “coming out” stage. Did you like the way her sexuality was handled?
5. Until she met Ava, Emi was perpetually in an on-again, off-again relationship with Morgan. Did you find the way that Emi’s relationships intertwined, as one was dissolving because the other was developing, to be believable?
6. Emi and Charlotte are given Emi brother’s apartment, under the condition that they do “something epic” with it. What was the most epic thing you did in your teenage years?