P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Journals are obviously a very powerful tool in this story. Did you ever keep a journal or diary? If so, can you talk about a specific entry that was important (and/or mortifying – we’re all friends here!) for you?
1. In the end, it turns out that Reeve never loved Jam, and that she told herself that he died in order to cope with the emotional trauma. Did you see this twist coming? Did you buy it? And did it change your opinion of Jam or not?
2. Out of all of the students in Special Topics, which one did you connect with the most and why?
3. What did you think of Meg Wolitzer’s writing style?
4. Have you ever read The Bell Jar? What did you think of it?
5. Did you find the chemistry between Jam and Griffin to be believable? And where would you rank Griffin in the FYA MLD Hall of Fame?
6. How do you feel about how Wolitzer wrapped up this story?