P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Who was the Maribeth Whitman of your high school? And did you have any run-ins with her?
1. At one point, Autumn calls Waverly a sociopath, but the latter labels herself as a pragmatist, a “brutal, calculating, morbid robot.” How would you define her character?
2. Did Marshall Holt make it into your Mysterious Loner Dude (MLD) Hall of Fame? Why or why not?
3. Autumn: Awesome Friend or Manic Pixie Dream Gal Pal?
4. Did the “blood sport” portrayal of high school popularity feel true to life? Why or why not?
5. The reason why Waverly can appear in Marshall’s vicinity is never explained. Did that bother you, or did the story allow you to embrace it it with no explanation?
6. Did you ever feel sorry for Maribeth? Did she feel like a Regina George or a real person?
7. What did you think of Waverly’s mom and dad as parents? When it comes down to it, are they better or worse than Marshall’s parents?
8. Did any of the secrets on the bathroom wall resonate with your YA self? (Bonus question: Did your high school have a wall of secrets?)