This month’s FYA Book Club selection is When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore. Check out the discussion questions below! (Slight spoilers ahead.)
P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Miel and Sam obviously have a special friendship, but outsiders think of them as strange. When you were growing up, did you and your best friend share an inside joke, play silly games or have certain rituals that other people might have considered weird?
1. How do you feel about Miel?
2. And about Sam?
3. What did you think about Miel and Sam’s relationship?
4. There are a variety of “parents” in the book. Were they all realistic? Do you have a favorite?
5. Let’s talk about the Bonner sisters. Were they misunderstood or actual villains?
6. McLemore mixes many multicultural themes into When the Moon Was Ours. Did the many different themes work together? Did one interest you more than others?
7. How did you about the book’s portrayal of LGBTQ+ characters?
8. Did McLemore walk the line between magic and reality in this book well, or did it lean too far one way?
9. McLemore’s writing is lush, but sometimes slow, too. Did you like her style? Will you be reading any more of her books?