P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
When it comes to magic, Alex has no interest in following her family’s footsteps. Do you have any stories about rebelling against tradition or what’s expected of you? Did you end up changing your mind, like Alex did?
1. Alex makes a lot of mistakes, the worst of all being what starts her quest to save her family. Did you still find her to be a sympathetic and relatable protagonist?
2. Pop culture has had countless variations of magic and witchcraft. What did you think of how it was done here? What were your favourite and/or least favourite aspects?
3. Family is another integral part of the story, even though Alex’s is mostly absent for most of the book. Was there enough characterization for you to feel invested in them, or did you need to spend more time with them to get a better sense?
4. What was your favorite–or least favorite–part of Los Lagos?
5. Did you think the Devourer was a strong villain/antagonist? Why or why not?
6. Did you see the twist coming with the love interest? Who did you prefer for Alex?
7. Did you see Nova’s betrayal coming or were you surprised by his actions? Would you have forgiven him, knowing his backstory, if you were Alex?
8. What do you think happened to Alex’s father when he left? And what do you think will happen now that he’s returned?
9. Labyrinth Lost is the first book in a trilogy, with each one centred around a different sister. Do you plan on continuing to read the series?