This month’s FYA Book Club selection is Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. Check out the discussion questions below! (Slight spoilers ahead.)
P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
In order to graduate from Mama Agba’s training class, Zélie must prove what she’s learned by sparring with Yemi. What’s the scariest school performance you ever participated in?
Mama Agba is a Coach Taylor kind of teacher. Did you have Mama Agba-type teacher growing up? What’s something that’s stuck with you about them?
1. Out of the three main POVs we hear from—Zélie, Amari, and Inan—who was your favorite? Or did you have a different favorite character?
2. Which character do you think went through the most growth? Or, vice versa, didn’t?
3. In addition to the main three, there are a lot of other characters introduced throughout the book. Did you find this confusing?
4. Did you have any early theories on what happened to the magic in Zélie’s world?
6. Amari and Inan’s parents: the worst or The Worst?
7. What did you think about the mythology and magical system of Zélie’s world?
8. Do you have any predictions about how Zélie’s “unusual” ritual will change the world?
9. Did you find Inan’s motivation, especially in the latter half of the book, believable?
10. Is Inan dead?
11. Who do you think will end up together at the end of the series?
12. The second book, Children of Virtue and Vengenance, comes out in March 2019, with a third book to follow. Will you continue with the series?