P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Twins in YA literature used to be way more prevalent in the ’80s and ’90s. Who are your favorite fictional twins (from a book, film or TV)?
1. Jude, Taryn, and Vivienne are a strange set of sisters. How did you feel about them as a unit, knowing Vivienne’s father Madoc killed Jude and Taryn’s parents? Did you see evidence of resentment toward Vivienne in the twins?
2. How do you think Madoc feels about Jude and Taryn as opposed to Vivienne? Are they disposable? Does he have some sense of fondness for them?
3. The romance in this book is, well, not particularly romantic, but it is intense—and there’s a bit of a love square. How did you feel about the relationships? Do you think there’s a danger of teens thinking Cardan and Locke are good mates?
4. The scene with the faerie apple bears a strong resemblance to other YA books where girls are drugged or given too much alcohol. How did you feel about seeing a scene like that in this kind of story? Was it relatable, or did you feel like it was too on-the-nose?
5. Did you expect the ending? What do you think could go wrong?
6. Jude is a complex protagonist who often makes morally grey choices. What did you think of her by the end of the book? Did you agree with her choices? Did your opinion of her change as the story went along?
7. Holly Black is famous for writing quite a few books on the faery world. Have you read/enjoyed other stories about the fae? How does Black’s portrayal of faeries compare to the others you’ve seen?
8. Will you be continuing the series? Do you have any predictions about what happens next?