This month’s FYA Book Club selection is Warcross by Marie Lu. Check out the discussion questions below! (Slight spoilers ahead.)
P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Did you play video games as a kid or a teen? If so, did you have a favorite?
Warcross isn’t just a game; it’s a way of life. Do you have any games or apps that you couldn’t live without?
Emika carries 7 essential items with her during a hunt. Aside from wallet/keys/phone, what must-haves do you have with you at all times?
Emika began idolizing Hideo partly because they’re similar in age. Are there any people your age (famous or otherwise) whom you’re in awe of?
1. Warcross takes place in the near future. Did you find the worldbuilding to be believable? (Specifically, in how technology advanced and society transformed into dystopia.)
2. What did you think of the actual gameplay of Warcross? Were the descriptions effective in explaining a made-up game?
3. As demonstrated by the incident that landed her in juvie, Emika has a strong moral compass, but she’s less concerned about legality in getting justice. Did you think that Emika is a compelling protagonist?
4. Even before the reveal at the end, what did you think of the romance between Emika and Hideo, especially given the vast differences in their wealth and power?
5. Were you surprised by the reveal of Hideo’s true purpose or did you see it coming? Did you find his philosophy understandable at all? Is there a point where you would give up a measure of free will for a nonviolent society?
6. Did you guess who Zero is before it was revealed?
7. Who do you think Emika can trust: Hideo or Zero? Or neither?
8. Warcross is the first book of a duology. Will you be reading the sequel (Wildcard, which is already released)? What do you hope will happen?