This month’s FYA Book Club selection is Lovely War by Julie Berry. Check out the discussion questions below! (Slight spoilers ahead.)
P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
This book features violence in the setting of World War I as well as a sexual assault (unwanted kissing and groping).
Faced with incredibly dark times, all four protagonists grasp at the little things to get them through: a new pink coat. A ragtime rendition of Reveille. Letters from the front lines. What little things are helping you get by right now?
1. Julie Berry uses a conversation between the gods as a framing device for her story. Did you enjoy this aspect of the book and, if so, how did it enhance the story for you? What did you think of Aphrodite as a narrator?
2. Out of the four main human characters (Hazel, James, Aubrey and Colette), which one’s journey was your favorite?
3. Berry wove real people and events into the story, making for a compelling history lesson. Did you learn anything that surprised you? Did the book deepen your understanding of a certain aspect of history?
4. Even though Lovely War takes place during WWI and WWII, many aspects of the story still resonate today. What struck you the most?
5. Why do you think WWII is so popular as compared to WWI narratives? Did this book make you appreciate the era more, or are you still more interested in the Greatest Generation?