In a Land of Pure Imagination
At the age of 13, all witches must spend a year on their own to hone their craft. For her apprenticeship, Kiki moves to a scenic port town. But she’s yet to come into her magical abilities, and all she can do is (just barely) fly a broom. In order to support herself — she can’t just accio cash, y’know? — Kiki starts a delivery service (SPOILER ALERT). As if being a teenager wasn’t enough to worry about — Kiki has a whole business to run! And as you might suspect, things don’t always go so smoothly.
Adorable Child Alert
The birthday boy may be adorable, but he also seems a bit spoiled.
Lovable Anthropomorphic Sidekicks
JIJI! Jiji is everything!
Jiji gets another GIF because he’s my favourite Ghibli pet! (Note that I said pet, not non-human. ‘Cause DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE, I WON’T!)
And for those of you who prefer dogs, here’s Jeff! (With more Jiji!)
KIKI, WHY ARE YOU SO LOUD?
- Kirsten Dunst as Kiki (typecasting!)
- The great Phil Hartman as Jiji
- Tress MacNeille as Osono
- Janeane Garofalo as Ursula
- Matthew Lawrence (Jack from Boy Meets World!) as Tombo
- Brad Garrett as the baker
- Kath Soucie (Phil and Lil!) as Kiki’s mother
- the fantastic Debbie Reynolds as Madame
- Pamela Adlon (Spinelli! Bobby Hill! Louie love interest!) as Ket
- OH HOLY SHIT Edie McClurg (the secretary from Ferris Bueller!) as Bertha
Class Superlative: Most Cheerful
(You best believe that’s a Bring It On pun!) It’s hard to believe that anything could bring bubbly, effervescent Kiki down. But everyone feels insecure from time to time. And UGH, Kiki — are you me!?
To paraphrase Fraulein Maria, we just need confidence in us! Kiki’s Delivery Service is so full of joy and positivity, and that energy is super infectious.