In the coming months, I have the honor of watching –and sharing with you readers my thoughts about — My So-Called Life. I KNOW, you don’t have to tell me I drew the long stick on this one! I mean, getting to re-watch the show that encapsulated the feelings of self-aware teens of the 1990’s the world over!
Thing is, I had a startling realization as I began my scrutiny of the first few episodes: I have never actually watched My So-Called Life. Hold on, now! It always seemed to be on, so I knew who the characters were and the story arc from catching bits and pieces of it here and there — so much so that I thought I HAD watched it. A grievous mistake now remedied. The up-side of this is that I get to watch it with fresh — if somewhat jaded, adult — eyes, and share with you the life lessons this show has to teach me as a first-time viewer.
BUT FIRST!!!! For those of you who want to view at home along with me, I present to you the official FYA Drinking Game!
The Official FYA My So-Called Life Drinking Game
Take a drink:
- Whenever there is a voice-over
- Every time Angela cries (Claire Danes is good at this)
- Each time Sharon gives Angela a longing-yet-judgmental look
- Whenever you someone mentions Tino (Where IS Tino?)
- Whenever Rayanne explains something to Angela using crazy hand gestures followed by a ridiculous ‘this-is-supposed-to-be-impish’ grin
- When you want to punch Momma Chase in the throat for being such an uptight bitch
- Whenever everyone in the room ignores Danielle
- Whenever someone refers to Rickie as ‘Bi’ or ‘confused’
- Whenever you want to hug Rickie
- For every quintessential ’90’s moment (i.e. the soundtrack is playing REM or the Cranberries, moshing is happening, there is an over-abundance of over-sized flannel, etc.)
- Whenever two different characters are having two completely different conversations with each other, but then it turns out they’ve been listening to each other’s conversations all along
Take a shot:
- Whenever Angela has a deep realization about life (as is evidenced by Claire Danes looking to the right and left a lot as she expounds upon said realization)
- Every time Jordan Catalano leans (Jared Leto is good at this) until a time when said leaning is finished
So cue up your VCRs (or use Netflix Instant Watch, like me) and prepare to relive the tribulations and triumphs of high school!