Happy The Hunger Games Week! Here at FYA HQ, we’re always happy to lend a helping party-planning hand, especially when it comes to The Hunger Games. We have costume and beauty tips worthy of Cinna and his team, baked goods to rival Peeta’s, and — don’t worry — we’ll be posting movie drinking game rules later in the week. But! We know you like to be prepared, so I’m here to help you get a head-start on the drinking game — or at least make sure your flask is full of Haymitches.
Compiled from our own imaginations and the genius brains of our readers, here’s part two of our previous HG cocktail extravaganza; a handy little bartender’s bible that’s sure to make you the star of any The Hunger Games party. Or just very hungover. The Effie is killer. Delicious, but killer.
Oh, yes, those are Effies in those red plastic cups.
From your FYA HQ:
The Greasy Sae
- Southern Comfort
- Tabasco sauce
- Use a stick for a cocktail stirrer.
- 1 oz butterscotch schnapps
- 1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
- 1 oz Bailey’s Irish cream
- Mix butterscotch schnapps with Bailey’s, then pour milk over the mixture.
- Add crushed ice.
- Let it sit for just a minute to mix well.
And some excellent recipes from our readers (that’s you!):
The Gale from Meredith
Strong, dark, subtle and hot. And, let’s face it, bitter.
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- pinch of all-spice
- pinch of clove
- pinch of sugar
- sliver of lemon rind
- splash of club soda
- Muddle the sugar at the bottom of the glass (he’s sweet when you least expect it)
- Mix everything else and pour over.
The Finnick from Carla
We all know that Finnick is a serious sex god; I mean, he schmoozes the ladies every time he visits the Capitol. Plus, he’s gone down in history as the most flirtatious tribute, and, heck, he got, like, the best and most awesome gifts in the arena, like a freaking trident.
- 2 oz of Midori Melon Liqueur (which is sea-foam green, just like his EYES)
- 2 oz of Strawberry flavoured Vodka
- Topped up with fresh orange juice
- Put it all in a cocktail maker with ice and shake it, shake real good. Then pour it all into a nice fancy cocktail glass (one that preferably is curvy, like the woman’s body, because we all know Finnick is a player.) filled partway with crushed ice.
- Top it off with a nice cocktail stirrer, preferably in the shape of a trident!
The President Snow from Johanna
- 2 oz. Rose Liqueur in a short glass over ice, topped off with blood orange juice.
The Johanna from reader Johanna’s boyfriend
Because “gin tastes of pine; she’s a bitter bitch; and, she’s frequently naked.”
- 2 ounces of gin dash of bitters straight up
The District Four from Britt
I have an obsession with seriously dirrrrrrrty (Southern ’cause thems my roots) martinis, and I’ve always thought that really, really, really dirty martinis taste like the ocean. In a good way. So, I submit The District Four.
- Splash of Vermouth, swished around then discarded
- Lotsa Gin (Yes GIN ’cause, you know, CLASSYish); if you’re feeling District 12ish, I GUESS you can use Vodka
- A ridiculous amount of olive juice (sea flavoring)
- Olives, if you must
- Stirred, not shaken. Obvs. We don’t want more actual water than necessary, right?
- And…yr xtra dirty martini tastes like District 4! Huzzah!
The Greasy Sae Shot from Alison
…We call it something less PC in the States.
- 1 TB mayo
- shot of tequila
- Stir gently and serve.