P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
Jamie wears a Spiderman shirt that he never takes off. Did you have an article of clothing, or stuffed animal or other security blanket as a child (or now, we’re not judgey!)? If so, what was it, and when did you give it up?
1. If you had to rate Jamie’s parents on a scale of Worst Parent Ever to WORST PARENT EVER, where would they each fall? Did you find yourself sympathetic for either of them?
2. Roger: Best Cat Ever?
3. What did you think about the Britain’s Got Talent part of the plot line? Was it all a bit too much or did you feel that it fit into the story realistically?
4. Do you think that Jamie’s life will improve after the events of the book? Will his father try harder at sobriety and not being a dumb racist? Will his mother come to visit more? Or will this be as good as it gets?
5. Jas: best big sister in the world? How do you think her management of grief is more or less healthy than the rest of her family’s?
6. Let’s talk about Sunya: do you think it’s hard to live her life? Should her family have her placed in a parochial school? Would living in a bigger city make Sunya happier? Let’s talk about diversity in small, rural areas. Is it possible?