P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
The Paradise Motel is full of quirky charm. Where is the strangest place you’ve ever stayed?
1. Although Skylar spends much of the book feeling trapped in Creek View, she eventually accepts it as a part of herself. Did you ever have similar feelings towards some part of your own upbringing?
2. Did you find the depiction of poverty and hopelessness to be realistic?
3. If you were in Skylar’s shoes, would you have been as conflicted over leaving?
4. What did you think about the romance between Skylar and Josh? Did you find their obstacles — and how they were ultimately overcome — believable? (But also: did you swoon?)
5. Was the book effective in exploring Josh’s PTSD? Did you find the writing style for Josh to be authentic?
6. Despite her flaws, did you find Skylar’s mother, Denise, to be sympathetic?
7. Even if she can’t always count on her mom, Skylar has a small group of people that have her back. Which of them was your favourite supporting character?