P.S. If you’ve already read the book, feel free to add any other discussion questions of your own in the comments!
The Spier family has a lot of traditions, phrases, and inside jokes. Does yours have any ‘family inventions’?
1. Simon’s relationship with Blue primarily unfolds over emails. Did you find their swoon believable?
2. Were you able to guess Blue’s identity before the reveal? Or was the misdirection effective in keeping you in the dark?
3. Simon wonders, “Why is straight the default? Everyone should have to declare one way or another, and it should be this big awkward thing whether you’re straight, gay, bi, or whatever.” What did you think of how sexual identity was handled?
4. Let’s talk about Martin. Despite his actions, did you feel sorry or sympathy for him?
5. Simon is surrounded by great friends and family. Which supporting character was your favourite?
6. Becky Albertalli’s next two novels will be set in the same world as Simon: The Upside of Unrequited (Apr 11, 2017), featuring Abby’s cousin in DC; and a Leah spinoff (2018). Will you be checking either of them out? If so, what would you like to see happen?